Friday, November 6, 2009

Wrestling with the Devil

As a result of the events that have transpired in my physical body over the last six weeks, I have determined that zoloft is the devil.

Shockingly enough, I have stress in my life. For some reason, probably the radiation that killed my thyroid, my body can no longer handle stress very well. This is so ironic because, prior to having my thyroid nuked, my daily motto was... "I have to do this, this, this, this, this and this. But that's okay! I can handle it!"
You won't hear me say that anymore. I can't handle it. The slightest confrontation, the mere increase in my workload, the tiniest hint of unwellness in my body sends my heart into palpitations. Before you know it, I'm having panic attacks, and crying uncontrollably. My doctor's solution... zoloft.
In the beginning, I absolutely refused. In my mind, zoloft was for depression. I did not feel depressed. I felt overwhelmed. There was so much to be done, and I didn't have the strength or motivation to do it. Still, I truly believed that I could overcome my physical weakness with my spiritual strength. I fought my doctors on the necessity of taking this drug for three years. But over time, my spirit weakened also.
Then, I hit my all-time low, and in January of this year, I gave in. I began taking zoloft at the lowest possible dosage and noticed changes immediately. It was awesome!!!! I felt like myself again. But that only lasted a few weeks. So my doctor doubled my dosage. The same thing happened. I felt great for a few weeks, then started getting overwhelmed again. So she doubled my dosage again. I stayed on this dosage for four months. In that time, I felt much more able to handle all that comes along with being a wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend, MOPS Coordinator... Yet I was still having panic attacks daily, sometimes up to 12 times a day.
The doctor recommended switching to Paxil, not realizing she should first wean me off of zoloft. So within a week's time of quitting zoloft and starting paxil (while recuperating from having h1n1), I began suffering from withdrawal syndrome, which, in my opinion, was ten times worse than the flu. I suffered from hallucinations, rapid heartbeat, palpitations, hot sweats, blackouts, uncontrollable sobbing... I ended up in the emergency room thinking I was having a heart attack.
Now, I am in my sixth (and supposedly final) week of the "weaning off" process. In the midst of weaning off, you still suffer from withdrawal syndrome, but at a much lesser level. It is misery at times. I wake up in the middle of the night with my muscles twitching. By the time I get out of bed in the morning, I feel like I've run a marathon. Every muscle aches nonstop throughout the day.

This is why I've come to believe that zoloft is the devil. Weaning off of zoloft is like wrestling with the devil. I figure paxil is just the devil in a different pill, so I have no intention of ever again using an anti-anxiety medication to deal with the overwhelming nature of my life.

The positive of having experienced this ordeal...
After much prayer and meditation, and with the help of my family and friends, I feel spiritually, emotionally and mentally stronger. Yes, I still have to do this, this, this, this and this. And honestly, I CAN'T HANDLE IT. But that's okay! I can do all things through CHRIST who strengthens me.

4 comments:

Wenelikai said...

I am glad I read this so I could understand a little better. I had no idea that was going on and I was there for part of it! I knew about the ER but the meds specifically no.
*sigh*
I wish I could say something to make you feel better (or spend a day or two at your house each week "cleaning" and chatting!).
Love your attitude and your writing is really strong.
Love you!

BRAYpartyof4 said...

Thank you Wendy! I've been kind of tight-lipped about the medication thing, fearing it would make my weakness known to the world. But then I realized that without explaining the cause of my health-related issues, I looked like a complete wus to the outside world. So I hope this provided some clarification.
I wish you could be here too. I can't tell you how helpful and uplifting spending that day here with you was.
Love you too!

ARAD said...

Nice,

This is what I've been waiting for. Thanks for writing from the heart.

ARAD

mel said...

IT HAPPENS TO THE BEST OF US. PROFESSIONAL WOMEN ARE HIT PRETTY HARD. WE TRY TO BE EVERYTHING FOR EVERYONE AND FORGET THAT WE MUST CARE FOR OURSELVES.

AFTER 7 YEARS OF ON AGAIN OFF AGAIN USE OF SSRIS, JUST TAKE THE MEDICATION. YOU'LL BE SUPERWOMAN AGAIN IN NO TIME. THIS "LETTING GO" COMES WITH AGE AND PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. YOU CAN ONLY DO WHAT YOU CAN DO. MAKE IT YOUR BEST AND GET ON WITH IT. I WOULD TAKE A GUESS THAT LOW SERITONIN LEVELS ARE PRESENT SOMEWHERE IN YOUR FAMILY HISTORY. REGARDLESS IF IT WAS PROFESSTIONALLY DIAGNOSED OR NOT.

I DID NOT FEEL DEPRESSED EITHER. AS A SELF DIAGNOSED ADD/ADHD OVERACHIEVER (IE. LOUD AND OVERBEARING) I COULD NOT KEEP UP WITH THE PACE I THOUGHT I SHOULD. WORKING 36 HOURS IN A HIGH STRESS CAREER, HAVING A CHRISTMAS TREE FARM 75 MILES AWAY, GOING BACK TO SCHOOL, A NEW JOB, MOVING, A PREEMIE BABY.....FORGET IT. I JUST COULD NOT "GET A HOLD OF MYSELF" I FELT LIKE I WAS IN A CENTRIFUGE.

YOU'LL BE OK. GIVE YOURSELF PERMISSION TO BE IMPERFECT. YOU CAN ONLY DO WHAT YOU CAN DO. MAKE IT YOUR BEST AND GET ON WITH IT!!!