Friday, September 13, 2013

I don't know about you, but I'm feeling 36.

Last night, I went to the Taylor Swift concert with my cousin, Brandon.


That's right.  Taylor Swift.

Don't judge me.

Yes.  I'm a stay-at-home mom, with two young boys, who used my mom's night out to see a 23-year-old girl sing....

What can I say?

It was loud....

...

As I sat there in my awesome lower-level seat, in front of two seven-year-old girls who were desperately hoping to get a chance to meet the star, so for the entire hour before the show they nonstop screamed their little hearts out right in my ear, I thought to myself, "I'm old."  

I am not exaggerating.  These girls were truly committed to their cause of getting noticed.  They stood right behind my cousin and me.  One girl would say to the other girl, "Okay.  Let's say, 'We love you Taylor Swift.'"  Then they would both scream to the top of their little-girl voices, "WE LOVE YOU TAYLOR SWIFT!!!!" 

Okay, next let's say, "I'm a Super-Swifty."
I'M A SUPER-SWIFTY!!!!
Okay, now say, "You are so awesome."
YOU ARE SO AWESOME!!!!!
"I can't wait to meet you."
I CAN'T WAIT TO MEET YOU!!!

When they ran out of clever sayings like that, they began telling her mother and her opening act that they love them too.

"We love Ed."
WE LOVE ED!!!
"We love Mama Swift."
WE LOVE MAMA SWIFT!!!

When they ran out people they loved, they just started screaming out the names of Taylor Swift's hit songs.

"Love Story"
LOVE STORY
"Trouble"
TROUBLE
"Fearless"
FEARLESS

My favorite was when they mixed things up a bit...

WE LOVE YOU TAYLOR SWIFT
WE ARE NEVER GETTING BACK TOGETHER

Brandon and I laughed out loud on that one.

All the while, Taylor Swift is on the large screen talking about her music and her videos.  So then the girls start doing lyrics.

I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU, BUT I'M FEELING 22!!!!!

And I thought to myself, "I don't know about you, but I'm feeling 36."  

...

BUT don't feel sorry for me.  For it was all worth it in the end.  You see, no one puts on a show like Miss Taylor Swift. 

As soon as the lights went down, and the RED sign lit up, I was transformed into who I went to that concert to be...  a Taylor Swift fan.

Let me tell you why I am continually amazed by this young lady.  It's not because of her voice.  It's not because of her fashion style.  It's not because of her incredible business sense.  It's because of her words.

This girl can write.

That's what I love about her.

I love her words.

Have you ever listened to her songs?  I mean really listened?  

Who describes love, hurt, or friendship that way?  

He's the song in the car I keep singing, don't know why I do.

You're just another picture to burn.

I've never been anywhere cold as you.

You're tied together with a smile, but your coming undone.

It's too late for you and your white horse to come around.

You got your share of secrets and I'm tired of being last to know.

My mind forgets to remind me you're a bad idea.

I lived in your chess game, but you changed the rules everyday.

You have pointed out my flaws again, as if I don't already see them.

This is me praying that this was the very first page, not where the story line ends.

Fighting with him was like trying to solve a crossword and realizing there's no right answer.

Your eyes look like coming home.

Whether you are pro-Taylor Swift or anti-Taylor Swift, I hope you can see that behind the blonde hair and bright red lipstick is a very talented young lady.

Don't judge me for recognizing that.  ;)




Seeds of Faith - inspired by Elisha Skeen

The Bible says in James 1:17

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father...

I've often times wondered if Taylor Swift is a Christian.  She does not openly say either way.  I have heard her say that she doesn't want to use her celebrity status to influence the beliefs of others.  I can respect that.

But as moving as her lyrics are about life and love, I can't help but wonder how she might use that talent to describe the awesomeness of God.  I would love to hear that.  

No comments: