Monday, October 19, 2009

His Wife, My Hero

My brother, Jason, is currently serving in the Army National Guard. His unit was called to duty last December. Shortly after reporting for duty, his wife discovered that she was with child. This, of course, was very exciting for all of us, as this would be Jason's firstborn. Sadly, he would miss the entire pregnancy. He was deployed to Iraq in February. So he did not have the pleasure of witnessing the morning sickness, the ever-expanding baby bump, the never-ending exhaustion and the ultimate cravings that coincide with a woman's pregnancy. However, he was blessed to be able to come home on leave long enough to participate in the birthing process and welcome his new baby girl, Zoey Faith, into the world on August 17th. A few days later, he had to resume his service in Iraq.
Zoey is now 2 months old. Jason has missed her gorgeous smile, her adorable cooing, her late-night feedings and her stinky diapers. She will be five months old the next time he holds her. I'm heartbroken for him.
Even sadder, he's not the only one missing out. Little Zoey doesn't have the joy of knowing her father as of yet. And Zoey's brother, Lucas, who is three years old, misses the man who has stepped up to be his father. Lucas calls Jason "Daddy". He was just getting used to having a man consistently present in his life when Jason had to leave. It has been a very confusing time for little Lucas.
Perhaps what saddens me the most is imagining what Celeste what must be feeling. When I put myself in her shoes, I imagine I would feel quite overwhelmed. She is carrying this family on her own for 12 months! In Jason's absence, she is solely responsible for meeting her children's every need. She feeds them. She bathes them. She dresses them. She buys for them. She cleans for them. She plays with them. She tucks them in at night. And then she goes to bed alone.
You would think she might buckle under the pressure, feel sorry herself and become angry at the world for the roller coaster her life is now on. But no. Every time I see her, she does seem exhausted, yet she has a smile on her face. She's not sitting at home, crying into a pillow. She's living her life, and she is not afraid to do it alone. She has taken her children to visit family, to the zoo, to Wal-Mart, to the inflatable playground, to Chick-fil-a, to the mall, etc. She has retiled the kitchen floor, refurnished the bedroom, painted most every wall in the house, handcrafted the curtains, shopped for a new vehicle... the list goes on. While she patiently awaits my brother's return, she has taken her life by the horns and is enjoying the ride.
I am honored that my brother is a member of the Army National Guard sacrificing time with his family to protect our country. I am proud to be his sister.
I am also proud to be a sister-in-law to his wife. I am amazed by her boldness, and I envy her fearlessness. SHE is my hero.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Awww! You made me tear up. Celeste is truly a hero. You have to be a strong person to do what she does and I am soooo happy to be a part of her life!!!

Unknown said...

I'm just lucky to have the support of family, I can't imagine how much harder it would be without all of you behind me and the knowledge that Jason will be home soon. Oh, and I cry into my pillow all the time, lol.