Monday, June 20, 2011

Lessons Learned from the Daytime Emmy Awards

It amazes me how, when I least expect to be reminded, God shows me how blessed I am. 

This morning, I was watching the Daytime Emmy Awards because, as I admitted in my last post, I am a Y&R junkie.  I was eager to see if my favorite daytime show would win.  While I sat on the floor, indulging in this guilty pleasure, I hadn't noticed that my children had snuck up on the couch behind me and were watching as well.  Thankfully, this was the award show, and not the show itself, or they might possibly be scarred for life.  No, instead of seeing something that was well beyond their years of comprehension, God turned what might have been a misstep on my part into a teaching moment for myself and my children.

In the middle of the show, the daytime stars took a moment to showcase some of their charity work at a children's hospital.  The glimpse into the lives of these sick children and their families was so unexpected that it brought me to sobbing tears.  My boys were shocked at the sight of these kids with their hollow faces, bald heads, and weak bodies.  I just sat there on the floor of our beautiful home and thanked God for what I take for granted everyday.  My children are healthy.  Thank you God!  The scariest things I've had to deal with, when it comes to my children, are severe eczema and food allergies.  What these parents must deal with everyday is beyond my ability to fathom.

As you can imagine, my boys were wondering what was wrong with these children.  So I told them.  I told them everything.  And I reminded them how blessed we are to be so healthy. 

A few minutes later, there was a lady on the show doing sign language.  My boys wanted to know what she was doing.  I explained that she couldn't hear, which made her unable to learn how to speak like we do.  So she has to talk with her hands.  I was surprised as I realized that this topic had never come up before.  My children had no idea that some people cannot hear and speak as we do.  Wow.

Thankfully, and unexpectedly, we were able to turn a few minutes of TV time into lessons that will last a lifetime.  We are so blessed.  Thank you God!

Who would have thought we could learn so much from watching the Daytime Emmy Awards Show...

No comments: