Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Seasonal Friendship

I entered college as a freshman at High Point University in the fall of 1995.  I can't believe it's been seventeen years since then.

My goodness, that sounds like forever ago. 

That is when I was first introduced to email.  

I remember going to the basement of the university library and signing onto the computer. 

The emails I most looked forward to reading were from my high school friends, seven girls who had served as my lifeline during the years preceding my college life.  

They had gone to other colleges in North Carolina.  Though they were only minutes away, it was such a larger distance between us than we'd ever experienced.  For me, it was devastating.  I felt as though a part of me was missing.  Those daily emails brought me joy, making me feel complete again.

At that time, we passed around a lot of copied emails that revolved around the topic of friendship.  One message that particularly struck me discussed friendship as a seasonal event, describing individuals that come in and out of our lives for various periods of time and different reasons.  (http://www.danceadts.com/newarticles/seasonsoffriendship.pdf)

I didn't like this particular email.  

I could not imagine ever drifting away from the high school friends who I had recently left behind.  Yes, we were physically miles apart, but we would always be close at heart.  

I was so naive.

I thought that about the friendships I developed in college as well.  I lived with these girls, sharing everything from rooms, meals, Jesus, trials, triumphs, secrets and more.  In those moments of closeness and camaraderie, I could not imagine my life ever without them in it.

Of course, now - seventeen years later, I see the truth in that email message I read so long ago.  

Other than my husband, I have only one friend from high school with whom I still share an unbreakable connection.  She is my very best friend in the whole world.  I don't know what I would do without her.  Love you Wendy!  

I have only one friend from college who I must see once a month before I go into withdrawal.  Had fun yesterday Molly!

Perhaps because I am older, more experienced, less naive...  I now understand that the majority of friendships do last only for a season.  God brings people into our lives for many purposes, but mostly because we need each other during that time.  And then, for whatever reason, we don't need each other anymore.

I look back at the people who at one time played such a vital role in my life.  Whether it be during high school and college, or during my "preschooling mommy" years...  We're not close friends anymore.  

Sometimes this makes me sad.  

Yet I realize those friendships did serve a purpose.  

God brought Heather, Crystal, Melissa, Wendy, Melissa, Beth and Kim to me in high school to love me unconditionally during those confusing teenage years when I was trying to figure out who I wanted to be and where I wanted to go.

God brought April, Melissa, Amy, Molly, Tonia, Hala, Beth, Jamie, Maida, Rachel, Nicole, Daviana, Heather, Wendy, and so many others, to help me know God in a way I'd never known Him before, and to keep me safe during my  adventuresome college years.

God brought me Marina, Karen, Julie, Jennifer, Beth, Christy, Erin, JoAnna, Wendy, Bethany, Danielle, Sabena, Cathy and many others, to support me, encourage me and help me maintain my sanity during my early motherhood years. 

To all these people who I have had the privilege of calling my friend...
God brought you into my life for a reason.  For this I am truly grateful.  

Thank you for being my friend.

...

In nature, seasons end.  But we find comfort in knowing that season will come around again next year.  Sometimes, this happens in friendship as well.  A friend who had floated out of your life years ago, may some day float back in.  

I'd like to tell you more about the friend God gave back to me in my next blog...

No comments: