Monday, August 6, 2012

Focus on the Positive

I ate out for every meal today.  This is so embarrassing.  I can't believe I'm telling you this.

Hardee's for breakfast - a chicken biscuit and a large Dr. Pepper.  My kids wanted Bojangles, but this Bojangles does not have Dr. Pepper, so we had to go to Hardee's.

Sam's Club for lunch - a huge slice of three-meat pizza and a large Coke.  They didn't have Dr. Pepper.  What?!

Los Tres Jinetes for supper - half a chile relleno (I would have eaten the whole thing, but this one was on the spicy side), one crunchy taco, rice and water.  Only because Keith was there; otherwise I would have probably ordered a Dr. Pepper.  And the chips and cheese dip don't count, right?

I know this looks bad.  It does.

I am truly embarrassed.

Honestly I didn't even think before I ordered or while I ate.  I just hurried my meals along with the rest of my day.

In fact, the only reason I am telling you this is because just a few minutes ago I received a text from a friend  - a fellow passenger in the same boat as me, traveling on a sea of seemingly impossible tasks (quiet time, diet, exercise, etc.) in hopes of reaching the land of self-improvement.

She admitted her imperfections of the day.  So I in turn admitted mine.

At the end of each of our confessions, we chose to add something positive, hoping to make us feel less like today was a complete failure.

And you know what?  It worked.  Focus on the positive.

...

I am choosing to ignore the fat, carbs, high fructose corn syrup, and everything else I put into my body that is so not good for me today.

I choose to focus on the positive.

Breakfast - I did not order hash browns.  This is a good thing.

Lunch - It cost us less than $7 to eat.  So I'm saving money, which is also on my to-do list.

Supper - I drank water.  It's a good thing Keith was there.  And tacos have vegetables.  Woohoo!  Go me!

So, while today's menu is not something I am proud of.  I am not going to berate myself for my lack of self-control.  Instead I'm going to pat myself on the back for the good things I did.

And tomorrow, I'll actually try to make better choices.  :)


Phil 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.


1 comment:

Kim Schweizer said...

Don't think you're alone - we all do that, probably more frequently than we'd ever admit to ourselves, much less on our blog. You are brave and I admire that. So there you go, one more positive!