Thursday, December 31, 2009

Out with 2009, In with 2010

As I reflect back on the year that has passed, I can't help but be glad it is over. I am not a pessimistic person, but when I think about all we've experienced this year, mostly the bad stuff sticks out in my mind. This year has felt like a roller coaster ride that I just couldn't get off, with a few highs and so many lows.

Highs
  1. There are two new babies in the Boyd clan. We welcomed Zoey (my first niece!) and Gabriel (my godson!).
  2. My younger brother was able to come home from serving in Iraq for the birth of his baby girl.
  3. We went to two Carolina games and the North Carolina Tarheels went on to win the 2009 NCAA National Championship ~ GO HEELS!!!
  4. Boyd Family Beach Trip ~ so much fun!!!!
  5. October scrapbook retreat... need I say more?

Lows

  1. We learned that my youngest son is still allergic to peanuts, peanut butter and all tree nuts. In fact, his allergies have gotten more severe over the last three years.
  2. My oldest son is still suffering from moderate to severe eczema. They keep telling me he is going to outgrow it, but he has yet to be free of this pain.
  3. Both of my boys spent a month battling impetigo, a very painful and very contagious skin infection.
  4. We all contracted H1N1, right at the time of my nephew's birth. Therefore, we weren't able to see him until he was almost one month old.
  5. My younger brother has had to spend the entire year away from his family and home with only a brief two week break.
  6. I have personally struggled with ongoing anxiety attacks.
  7. Keith's job has been soooo stressful this year.
  8. My MOPS group, which was once the highlight of my month, has faced too many challenges.

I realized as I am writing this that I sound like the man in the "Footprints" poem. Thankfully, I know that God has been carrying me this year. I am sad to say that I have not thanked Him enough. (Thank You GOD for carrying me through this year!)

Now, I refuse to leave this blog with all that negativity, because I plan to be more optimistic in 2010. So let me put a positive note to all those lows.

  1. At least we know what we are dealing with in terms of his allergies, especially as he starts school next August.
  2. While just as bad, his eczema "flare-ups" are not as often as they once were.
  3. It could have been much worse. Thankfully, it was not MRSA.
  4. He won't remember that I wasn't there for his birth. The important thing is that I'm there for him when he needs me now.
  5. He is coming home VERY soon.
  6. I have successfully weaned off of zoloft (the devil in pill-form).
  7. They did hire someone to help lighten Keith's workload.
  8. I have formed friendships that I know will last a lifetime.

I know that 2010 is going to be a better year. I don't doubt that Satan will throw obstacles in our way, just as he has in 2009. But I am becoming a stronger person. God is making me a stronger person. As I've said in previous blogs, I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

No comments: