Wednesday, July 25, 2012

A bad case of loving...

Last Wednesday I created a to-do list (http://braypartyof4.blogspot.com/2012/07/my-to-do-list.html) to guide me on my path to betterness.  (My spell check keeps telling me "betterness" is not a word.  Like Webster is the only person who can make up a word!)

I printed this to-do list and review it almost everyday.  There's nothing I feel ready to "mark off", but I have made some steps in the right direction.  Yay! (Apparently Webster thinks "yay" is not a word either.  I'm sorry to digress, but these little red underlines drive me crazy.)

However...

There is one item on my to-do list that is so monumental, I cringe at the idea of its completion.  For that very reason, I thought I should attempt it first...  Stop drinking Dr. Pepper.


So, on Wednesday of last week, inspired by my own blog post, I did not drink a soft drink all day long.  I was so proud of myself.  I went to bed on cloud nine, feeling like a superhero.  WooHoo! (Also not a word.)  Go me!!!!

Then I woke up on Thursday...

The only thing on my mind was Dr. Pepper.  It was all I could think about.

I once saw an episode of Raising Hope where all the dad could think about was the word "think".  He even visualized a little man inflating this huge "think" balloon until it exploded into a million little "thinks".

Well, that was me, only replace the "think balloon" with a huge can of Dr. Pepper.

I love Dr. Pepper.

I made it until 10:30 that morning.  Then I drank three Dr. Peppers.

Dr. Pepper makes me so happy.

Still, not wanting to fail, I attempted to abstain again on Sunday.  This time I replaced my Dr. Pepper with Caffeine-free Coke.  Again, I went to bed feeling like I'd accomplished something big.

Then I woke up on Monday...

Yeah...  That didn't really work out...

So, as I sit here typing this blog post and thoroughly enjoying my Dr. Pepper, I relinquish myself to the fact that Stop drinking Dr. Pepper will be the very last item to be crossed off my to-do list.  In fact, it may NEVER be crossed off my to-do list.

And I'm okay with that.

I know it's not good for me.  I know this.

I am conscious of when and how often I drink it.  And I am striving for improvement in this area.  But I have no desire to let go of my addiction to its famous 23 flavors.  At least not now.  I'm just not ready to give it up.

Dr. Pepper!  
Give me the news!  
I got a BAD CASE of loving you!  
No other taste gives me the thrill you do!  
I got a BAD CASE of loooving you!




Phil 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.


So when I am ready, He will give me the strength to follow through...  :)

No comments: