Friday, July 20, 2012

Think, Think, Think

The thing I love most about Winnie the Pooh is how he forces himself to sit down and think.  I just find it so adorable when he's sitting there next to the sign marked "Pooh's Thotful Spot" tapping his index finger to his forehead saying, "Think, think, think".  

I never really appreciated how much work Pooh puts into such a task.  How hard can it be sit down and think?  I'm learning now, it's harder than it looks.

As I've pondered my to-do list over the last couple days, I've realized that very few of the items I have listed are actually difficult.  In fact, most of them require little time or energy to be completed.  

What they do require is thought.  

Why have I not been praying when I wake up in the morning?  Why have I not consistently initiated a daily quiet time?  Why don't I take my medicine everyday?

The answer is embarrassing.

I just don't think about it.  

I didn't realize how much of my time I spend functioning on auto-pilot.  I'm walking through the motions of my day like a zombie, neither rightly conscious of the decisions I am making, nor the least bit concerned about the long-term effect of those decisions.

Until now.  

Now I'm trying to be more like Winnie-the-Pooh.  Think, think, think.  

I've found that there is quite an effort required to think, think, think.  Especially first thing in the morning.

I'm so used to crawling out of bed and following my current routine --- go to the bathroom, wash my hands, check on the boys, make sure they get breakfast, take a shower, get dressed, brush my teeth, make sure boys are dressed, make sure boys have brushed their teeth, grab a Dr. Pepper, start a load of dishes, start a load of laundry...  yada, yada, yada...

Look how much time I've wasted NOT thinking.

Still, let's be honest.  My morning tasks are not rocket-science.  So what is there to think about?  

ANSWER -  
  1. God
  2. Prayer for my husband, my children, my family, my friends, for others and for myself
  3. Scripture
  4. Praise & Worship
  5. Healthy choices for breakfast
  6. Taking my medicine
  7. Drinking water
And this is just during the first hour of my day.  

Do you see how much more blessed my day could be to myself, to my God and to others, if only I would think, think, think?

...

I always viewed Winnie-the-Pooh as an icon of my childhood.  But now...

Now Winnie-the-Pooh is my hero.


Phil 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

No comments: